The Scientific Committee
The Scientific Committee has oversight of the research undertaken by ICHIRF and input into the direction and focus of this project. The members provide expertise in all matters related to concussion research but do not have any contact with individual volunteers or undertake any screening themselves.
- Professor Paul McCrory, ICHIRF
- Dr Michael Turner, ICHIRF
- Rudy Castellani MD – Professor of Pathology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
- Ruben Echemendia PhD – Director of the National Hockey League’s Neuropsychological Testing Program and Co-Chair of the NHL/NHLPA Concussion Working Group, Department of Psychology, Missouri State University, Kansas City, USA
- Richard G. Ellenbogen MD – Professor and Chairman of Neurological Surgery, Director UW Neurosciences Institute, Theodore S. Roberts Endowed Chair, Adjunct Professor of Global Health and Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- Lars Engebretsen MD – Professor and Director of Research, University of Oslo Medical School, Professor and co-Chair, Oslo Sports Trauma Research Center (OSTRC) and Head of Science and Research, International Olympic Committee, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Conor Gissane PhD – Professor in Sport Biostatistics & Injury Epidemiology, St Mary’s University, Twickenham, UK
- Kevin Guskiewicz PhD – Kenan Distinguished Professor and co-Director, Matthew Gfeller Sport-Related Traumatic Brain Injury Research Center and Director of the Center for the Study of Retired Athletes, Department of Exercise and Sports Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
- Grant Iverson PhD – Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School and Director MassGeneral Hospital for Children Sports Concussion Program, Boston, USA
- Barry Jordan MD –Associate Professor Clinical Neurology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Chief Medical Officer of the New York State Athletic Commission, Team Physician for USA Boxing and Director of the Memory Evaluation Treatment Service (METS) and Assistant Medical Director of the Burke Rehabilitation Hospital, White Plains, New York, USA
- Willem (Winne) Meeuwisse MD – Professor, Sport Medicine Centre, Faculty of Kinesiology Canada
- James Murray DClinPsy – Consultant Clinical Psychologist, Guernsey Health & Social Services Department and Director of the Neuropsychological Screening Program for GB and Irish jockeys
- Sanna Neselius MD – Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden and Member of the Swedish Boxing Medical Commission
- Kathryn Schneider PT PhD – Assistant Professor, Clinical Scientist (Physiotherapist), Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Canada
- Allen Sills MD – Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA and member of the FEI (International Equestrian Federation) Medical Commission
The Technical Committee
Every sport has a number of unique clinical aspects that are not always obvious to those who observe from afar. The injury pattern may be dramatically different between different positions on the pitch and rule changes may have a significant impact on head injuries.
All members of the Technical Committee have specialist knowledge of their own sport and a clear understanding of the implications of any rule changes. Their role is to advise the Scientific Committee (via the Medical Director) of any areas of data analysis that might prove to be of interest.
Apart from the Chair, the Technical Committee members will not have access to the volunteers or to the collected data and will not undertake any screening.
- Dr Michael Turner – Medical Director, ICHIRF
- Dr Charlotte Cowie – Head of Performance Medicine, Football Association (FA), Clinical Director, Spire Perform at St George’s Park
- Dr Lisa Hodgson PhD – Assistant Professor in Sport and Exercise Medicine, University of Nottingham, UK and Consultant to the Rugby Football League (RFL)
- Dr Simon Kemp – Chief Medical Adviser, Rugby Football Union (RFU)
- Dr Mike Loosemore – Chief Medical Adviser, GB Boxing (BABA) and Member of the Medical Commission of the International Boxing Association (AIBA)
- Dr Adrian McGoldrick – Senior Medical Officer, Irish Turf Club
- Dr Nicholas Peirce – Chief Medical Officer, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB)
- Dr Peter Whitehead – Chief Medical Adviser, the British Equestrian Federation (BEF) and Chairman of the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) Medical Committee
Onside Law, 642A Kings Road, London SW6 2DU
Sandison Lang and Co.
Sandison Lang and Co., 2 St Marys Road, Tonbridge TN9 2LB
Public Relations & Media
Patrick d’Ancona, Chris McMahon, Fiona Henson
Moulder McPhee Digital
Digital Marketing & Communications
Adam Moulder, Marianne McPhee